The Journal of International Students (JIS) is a quarterly publication on international education. JIS is an academic, interdisciplinary, and peer-reviewed publication (Print ISSN 2162-3104 & Online ISSN 2166-3750) . The journal publishes scholarly peer reviewed articles on international students in tertiary education, secondary education, and other educational settings that make significant contributions to research, policy, and practice in the internationalization of higher education.
We encourage the submission of manuscripts from researchers and practitioners around the world from a myriad of academic fields and theoretical perspectives, including international education, comparative education, human geography, global studies, linguistics, psychology, sociology, communication, international business, economics, social work, cultural studies, and other related disciplines. We are especially interested in submissions which make a significant and original contribution to theory and practice on:
• Emerging trends and issues of international student and scholar mobility
• Study abroad and study away in K-12 and postsecondary institutions
• Cross-cultural studies of immigrant students’ acculturation, intergroup relations, and intercultural communication
• Multiculturalism, diversity, hybridity, and the development of diasporic networks
• Globalization, migration flows and education policy, including the politics of migration in sending and host countries
• Immigration issues and visa policies related to international students
• New forms of mobility including educational contexts that involve the use of new technologies and modes of learning
• International student experiences in cross-border higher education institutions and programs, including private, public, and for-profit institutions
• Recruitment, retention, transfer, support, and student success
• Career preparation, employability, and career outcomes of short- and long-term mobility
• Experiences of globally mobile LGBTQ+ students and other student populations
Submissions from authors that focus on under-researched aspects of the field, as well as countries or contexts about which little is known are of particular interest. Proposals that include under-utilized theories, such as Postcolonial Theory, Southern Epistemologies, Indigenous Scholarships, or new frameworks, discourses, and methodologies are also encouraged.
Publish With Us
JIS is targeted at publishing the most influential research on international students in the world to a multidisciplinary audience:
• High ranking: Rigorous peer review of your research in a top-ranked journal in international education and higher education.
• World-wide representation: More than 300 scholars based in 45+ countries have submitted and published articles in the journal. More than half of our articles include authors from Asia, Africa, Europe, Australia, and South America.
• 'Online first' publishing: We aim to provide initial decisions within 90 days from new manuscript submission and publish accepted manuscripts in 'Online First' format within 30 days after acceptance.
• Global exposure: The combination of ranking, open-access, and indexing in all major academic databases increases the discoverability and citation of your work.