Riding Out the Immigration Storm: Higher Education Responses and Support Provided to International Students in the U.S. During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Authors

  • Masha Krsmanovic University of Southern Mississippi, USA

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.32674/jump.v5iSI.3022

Keywords:

COVID-10, international students, immigration

Abstract

The immigration and travel restrictions imposed by the U.S. government during the pandemic affected both international students preparing to start their academics in the U.S. and those currently enrolled. Reviewing the websites of 160 U.S. colleges and universities enrolling the highest numbers of international students, this study investigated if and how these institutions supported their international students during the time of global crisis. The results, obtained thought discourse analysis, revealed that the majority of websites (74%) provided such guidance, while the remaining 26% did not include any COVID-related content. Further, only 10% of the institutions issued official statements to and in support of their international students during the pandemic. In addition to portraying the volume and scope of support provided to international students by their institutions, this research also presented recommendations for all colleges and universities that are yet to respond to the international members of their academic communities.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

Author Biography

Masha Krsmanovic, University of Southern Mississippi, USA

MASHA KRSMANOVIC, PhD, is an Assistant Teaching Professor in the Higher Education and Student Affairs program at the University of Southern Mississippi. Her major research interests lie in the area of international students, student academic and social integration, first-year students, first-year experience, and college transition. Email: Masha.Krsmanovic@usm.edu

 

Downloads

Published

2021-04-05